Cauliflower “Steaks” with Peanuts, Bacon and Capers
Versatile cauliflower is in these days! Make this tasty dish your own! Use 1/2 cup sautéed mushrooms for the bacon if you’d like to try it vegetarian.
- Gluten Free
- Dairy -Free
|1||tight head cauliflower|
|5||slices bacon, 1/4“ thick, cut into 1/4” dice|
|1/2||cup golden raisins|
|1/2||cup capers, salt packed|
|1/4||cup peanuts, toasted and chopped|
|3||tablespoons lemon juice|
|3||tablespoons peanut oil|
|Salt to taste|
- Rinse the salt-packed capers in a sieve and transfer to a bowl. Soak the capers in water to cover by 2 inches for 30 minutes. Drain and repeat the soaking. Drain again, and then rinse and pat dry.
- While the capers soak, put oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook bacon in a dry 1- to 2-inch skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until crisp, about 10 minutes; then transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain. Sauté the peanuts gently until they begin to brown; spoon them onto the same absorbent towel. Pour off the fat and wipe the skillet clean.
- Stir together the raisins and the lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Trim cauliflower stalk flush with the base of the crown, discard the stalk, then trim any leaves. Put the cauliflower crown, stalk side down, on a cutting board. Cut 1-inch-thick slices from two opposite sides of the crown and reserve for another use, and then cut the crown lengthwise into four steaks each about ¾-inch to 1-inch wide.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter; add ⅛ teaspoon of salt and a pinch of sugar and pepper in each of two 12-inch heavy ovenproof skillets over moderate heat. When the butter begins to brown, add two cauliflower steaks to each skillet and lightly season with salt and pepper; cook until undersides are golden, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the skillets to the oven and roast the cauliflower, without turning, but switching the pans from top shelf to bottom halfway through. Roast until the cauliflower is tender and the undersides are golden brown, 8 to 15 minutes depending on thickness.
- While the cauliflower roasts, bring water just to a boil in a 1-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat.
- Stir in bacon, peanuts, capers and raisins with lemon juice. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and stir until incorporated. Remove from the heat and season with pepper.
- Place cauliflower steaks onto a platter and spoon the sauce over them and sprinkle with the reserved peanuts.