Chopped Salad of Corn, Tomatoes, Peppers, Jicama, Avocado, and Black Beans with Smoked Peanuts
Recipe developed by The Culinary Institute of America as an industry service to The Peanut Institute
|2 1/2||cups corn kernels|
|1||cup roasted red peppers cut into ½ inch squares|
||cups jicama cut into ½ inch pieces|
|2||avocados cut into ½ inch pieces|
|2||cups black beans|
||cup smoked peanuts (recipe below)|
|1/2||cup peanut oil|
|1/4||cup red wine vinegar|
|1/3||lightly salted peanuts, coarsely chopped|
|1/4||¼ cup toasted cumin seeds|
|salt and pepper to taste|
|cilantro sprigs for garnish|
- Arrange the corn, tomatoes, peppers, jicama, avocado, black beans and smoked peanuts in a flat shallow bowl or plate.
- In a food processor or blender puree peanut oil, red wine vinegar and toasted cumin seeds.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over and garnish with cilantro sprigs
Smoked Peanuts Ingredients
|2||cups peanuts, in shell|
|2||cups wood chips, for smoking|
|salt and ground black pepper to taste|
Smoked Peanuts Directions:
- Soak the wood chips for 30 minutes in water.
- Place the wood chips in a pile in a foil-lined pan directly on the burner over high flame and heat until smoking.
- Place peanuts in a perforated pan or wire rack over the smoke and cover the pan tightly with foil. Turn the heat to medium low and smoke the peanuts for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, shell the peanuts, and toss with salt and pepper
Calories: 440, Fat: 30g, Trans: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium 90mg, Carbs: 35g, Fiber: 12g, Protein 12g