Skip the take-out tonight and try this super easy Beef Satay at home instead! Perfect as a meal prep or as a weeknight dinner.
Who’s ready for a delicious beef-based meal prep?! Traditionally, beef satay is made on the grill but because it’s winter and I want you to be able to make this delicious beef satay meal prep at home to skip buying take out, I’ve adapted this for the oven. Alternatively, if you have an indoor grill, you are a lucky one and this recipe would work great with it.
AFFORDABLE INGREDIENTS FOR THIS BEEF SATAY
Lately, found myself a little short on time, it feels like 24 hours in a day is just not enough (it really doesn’t help that it gets dark at 4PM) so I decided to try something new for this recipe. For this beef satay meal prep, I used some canned vegetables. I picked up some canned carrots and mini corn for cheap. The reason for this is that flank steak can overcook really easily and since the canned vegetables are technically cooked already, it means this recipe takes only 10-12 minutes in the oven.
In addition to the canned vegetables, I use peanuts and peanut butter for this beef satay meal prep. Peanut butter is a very affordable way to get extra protein in your diet as well as making for a delicious savoury marinade and dipping sauce. For every ounce serving of this affordable superfood, you get 7 grams of protein, 19 vitamins and minerals, healthy fats, antioxidants, and fibre so add as many peanuts as you like to this dish! This recipe is jam-pack with delicious goodness!
And lastly, not every night can be ribeye night! Using flank steak for this recipe brings the cost down as it’s a cheaper cut of meat that takes to marinades really well. This recipe is designed to be more affordable than buying takeout and let’s be honest, much healthier than take out too!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THIS BEEF SATAY AT HOME
- smooth peanut butter
- soy sauce
- coconut milk
- green onion
- flank steak
- vegetables: sugar snap peas, mini corn, carrot
- salt & pepper
- garlic powder
HOW TO MAKE BEEF SATAY AT HOME
- In a large bowl or measuring cup, mix together the peanut butter, soy sauce, sriracha, coconut milk, and lime.
- Once mixed thoroughly, set aside half as a dipping sauce. In the other half, mix in garlic, lemongrass, and green onion.
- Cut up your flank steak and marinate it with the second half of the peanut sauce. Let it marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat your oven up to 425F
- In a large sheet pan, coat your vegetables and peanuts in some olive oil, salt, and garlic powder. Spread it out evenly on a sheet pan.
- Once your beef is done marinating (this could also be done the night before), place it in a single layer on a rack on top of a sheet pan to catch the drippings.
- Roast everything in the oven for 10-12 minutes. The flank steak doesn’t take too long to cook through so you can always keep your vegetables in the oven longer if you wish.
- Serve with the sauce that was set aside earlier.
TIPS ON MAKING THIS HOMEMADE BEEF SATAY MEAL PREP
- I cut up my flank steak before cooking as it cuts down on cook time as marinating only works on the surface of the meat so more of the meat is covered by the marinade.
- If you would like to grill this, I’d suggest putting it on a skewer or slicing the meat afterwards so the whole steak can go on the grill. I had originally tested this recipe with a skewer so I could skip using the rack but I stabbed myself one too many times with the skewer so after a few choice words, I developed the recipe without the skewers. The rack allows for the heat to go under the steak so you can skip flipping the meat.
- If you make extra sauce, it can keep in the fridge for up to two weeks so you can use it on other meals as well (it works great with wraps such as this chicken wrap or zoodle bowl).
- When reheating the beef satay meal prep, skip reheating the sauce.
Link to recipe here!