Peanut Scones with Whipped Cranberry Butter
These rich, deeply satisfying scones have a sweet and nutty flavor—and about one-third the calories and saturated fat of a standard scone, thanks to peanut flour and buttermilk.
Peanut flour is available for purchase online at The American Peanut Shellers Association.
|1 1/3||cups all-purpose flour|
|3/4||cup light peanut flour (28%)|
|1/3||cup + 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|4||tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in small bits|
|1||large egg lightly beaten|
|1/3||cup + 2 teaspoons low fat buttermilk, divided|
|1/2||teaspoon vanilla extract|
3 tablespoons dried cranberries, chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the all-purpose flour, peanut flour, 1/3 cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Add the butter and cut in with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Whisk the egg, 1/3 cup of the buttermilk and vanilla extract in a second bowl. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until just moistened (the mixture will still be somewhat crumbly). With lightly floured hands, knead the dough in the bowl 5-6 times until it comes together; transfer it to the prepared baking sheet. Press the dough into an 8-inch diameter disk and cut it in 12 wedges. Brush the top of the wedges with the remaining 2 teaspoons buttermilk and sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar. Bake the scones until puffed and browned around the edges, about 18-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack.
- While the scones bake, make the cranberry butter. Combine the cranberries with 1/4 cup boiling water and let stand 10 minutes; drain well.
- Use a whisk or electric hand mixer to whip the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar and stir in the drained cranberries.
Calories: 188, Protein: 5g , Carbohydrates: 20g, Fiber: 1g,
Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 5g , Cholesterol: 36mg ,