Sliced Apple Brine
1 gallon of water
2 1/2 cups of salt
2 qt. of cider
4 qt. of apple juice
2 cups of brown sugar
8 each of cinnamon sticks
1/2 oz of peppercorns
10 each of cloves
2 each of onion, peeled and cut in large pieces
2 each of apples, cut in large pieces
- Bring the water, cider, and apple juice to a boil; add the salt and brown sugar.
- Turn off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes; skim any foam off the top.
- Add the remaining ingredients and chill over ice or in a sink with cold water to 40°F to 45°F.
- Add the turkey to the brine and let rest overnight.
- Agitate in the morning to speed up the brining process. Brine for 1 to 2 days.
- Rinse with water and dry for at least 2 hours.
- Deep-fry the turkey according to directions.
© 2011 The Culinary Institute of America. Recipe developed by The Culinary Institute of America as an industry service to The Peanut Institute.
Estimated Nutritional Information