Vegetarian Refried Beans
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water.
- Drain the beans.
- Place the beans and vegetable in a medium stock pot and cook until beans are tender.
- Strain the stock from the beans and reserve.
- Sweat the onions and garlic in the peanut oil, add the spices, and toast.
- Add the beans and enough stock to keep the beans from sticking to the pan and simmer.
- Mash the beans by hand or use an immersion blender to finish.
Note: Use canned two 14-ounce cans of black beans, skipping to sweating the onion and garlic in the peanut oil.
© 2011 The Culinary Institute of America. Recipe developed by The Culinary Institute of America as an industry service to The Peanut Institute.